Sunday, September 15, 2013

Camping and Community

     We are heading North to Red Rock Country for some camping in the morning. Since this is what happened on our last trip:

we decided we'd get a new tent. After much deliberation, we decided on this tent. This was not Albert's first choice, but I won the case with "I want to fit a ton of family and friends in it." Plus, his first choice was not in stock anywhere in the city which means we'd have to camp in the holey tent one more time. It looks easy enough to set up on my own, has great ventilation for those hot summer nights, a room divider, tub floor that's welded, steel poles, and a hinged door for easy in and out. Definitely can't hike into the hills with this beast, but great for car camping, which is all we do anyway because I'm kind of a wimp. I'll give you the full scoop when it sees it's first downpour of rain. 

     We're packing swimsuits for swimming in the creek, fishing poles, digging toys, and lots of easy food. I'm beyond excited, except for one thing... setting up camp for just one night. Our packing is slowly becoming streamlined. We buy basically the same camp food and pack the same utensils and gear. The kids' "homework" was the meal planning and packing their own clothes, both of which they did great! Eventually I'd like to have everything we need in a couple of totes so we can just throw it in the Tahoe and go. 

     Being able to camp in the middle of September without a heated mattress pad is definitely a perk to living in Arizona. This state is truly beautiful with so much to explore. There are so many mountains and canyons and rims and plateaus and lakes and streams that sometimes I forget that we're actually in the desert. The desert can be bland and ugly, but the desert in our parts is beautiful! We have whole mountains filled with our signature Saguaro Cactus and many, many other variety of yellow and green cacti. The desert trees don't really compare to Minnesota's broad leaf trees, but they're interesting enough and provide shade and homes to birds. Our storms are magnificent, and I won't even torture you with the details of our sunsets. They are pull-over-and-cry-in-your-car worthy. 

     The only thing missing is a community, but that comes with time. We (I) lucked out in this move, SBS provided me an instant friend who moved to Scottsdale just to be my friend:) Kidding, of course, but Rebecca, her handsome boy Nolan, and hilarious dogs have filled our hearts with much needed companionship during this transition.  My sister-in-love and amazing nephew moved back to Tucson (where we all grew up, just 2 hours south of us) when my brother was deployed last month and having her nearby is so comforting to us. The Wie Family, also a resident family with 3 kids and ones we have known since before any of us were even married, have provided much laughter and camaraderie. Our friends and family who are still in the desert and we've kept in touch with have been such a blessing to us. The random visits have filled our temporary home with memories that will bring us many smiles when we revisit them. I'm also happy to share that I think we found a church home. Bella described her morning as "the first real successful Sunday since we got here." God provides. 

     I hope you all have a great, encouraged filled week. Much love, reader.

     

1 comment:

Jen said...

You can think you're a wus at camping, but I think you're the camping queen! We don't camp at all, so you guys are really adventurous in my book:)
I can't wait to catch one of those sunsets when I come to visit!
So glad you've had friends to fill your days and your home. Though I've missed you terribly in MN:(